This online presentation and videotaped webinar suggests a strategy so powerful that they can lead you to master and publish scientific research papers in your chosen field of study. A systematic literature review is a ‘silver bullet’, a straightforward methodology once applied in medical research, now available in the social sciences.
INTRODUCTION TO THE SYSTEMATIC REVIEW – FOUNDATION FOR LONG-TERM SUCCESS IN RESEARCH AND WRITING IN THE SOCIAL SCIENCES
2020 VIDEOTAPED WEBINAR
Webinar | How to conduct a systematic review | 1:20:46
- The powerful secret.
- Identifying types of literature.
- Inclusion and exclusion of studies.
- Grey literature.
- Developing annotated bibliographies.
- Organizing files and folders.
- Case example – Surf tourism.
- Case example – Thai geography.
- Conclusion – The silver bullet.
- Suggestions and opportunities.
- Relevant resources
PRESENTATION SLIDES | PDF
BENEFITS OF A SYSTEMATIC REVIEW
- Desk research (i.e. field research is not required).
- Highly publishable as a research in its own right.
- Highly citable once published.
- Serves as a “super literature review” for future articles.
- Mastery of the literature and subject area (long-term benefits).
- Familiarity with scholars in the field of study.
- Identification of knowledge gaps, hence justification of future research areas.
- Results in a database of authors, files, references for future works.
- Lead to future trend and meta-analyses.
- Identify avenues for the publication of your research.
EXAMPLE 1 | SYSTEMATIC REVIEW OF SURF TOURISM RESEARCH | JOURNAL OF SPORT AND TOURISM
Martin, S. A., & Assenov, I. (2012). The genesis of a new body of sport tourism literature: A systematic review of surf tourism research (1997-2011). Journal of Sport and Tourism, 17(4) 257–28
EXAMPLE 2 | THAI GEOGRAPHY LITERATURE REVIEW AND RESEARCH | SINGAPORE JOURNAL OF TROPICAL GEOGRAPHY
Martin, S. A., & Ritchie, R. J. (2020). Sourcing Thai geography literature for ASEAN and international education. Singapore Journal of Tropical Geography, 41(1) 61–85.
Thank you for visiting my Systematic Review Page.
I hope you enjoyed this online research presentation and webinar. If you feel motivated to learn more about this research methodology, or would like to arrange for me to give a public talk, please let me know – I’d love to hear from you.