How it began: In 1999 I took a course in Expository Writing at the Hawaii Community College. As part of the course, I wrote a short essay about my travels through 40 countries, "Great Expectations". To my surprise, the essay won awards at local, state, and international levels (see below).
2022 Certificate of Honor for Dedication and Service
Prince of Songkla University Retirement Ceremony
2019 Promotion to Asst Professor of Asian Studies in Sociology and Anthropology
Teaching, Research and Publication in Asian Studies
2016 PSU Quality Assurance Award | Top 5 in Social Science
Academic Publication Award | Web of Science (ISI)
2015 PSU Quality Assurance Award | Top 5 in Social Science
Academic Publication Award | Web of Science (ISI)
2014 Best Paper Award | PSU Phuket International Conference
Prince of Songkla University (PSU) Best Paper | Social Science Catagory
2012 Best Paper Award (Green Tourism) | Asia Pacific Tourism Association (APTA)
APTA Conference 2012 Best Paper | Taipei, Taiwan
2004 Hohonu Academic Journal | University of Hawaii at Hilo, USA
Academic Publication | China, a Magic Place: The Geography of Chinese Philosophy
1999 The 22nd Annual Dean’s List of National Academic Achievement, USA
List of America's Outstanding College Students
1999 HCC Literary Competition, Hawaii Community College, USA
First Place Winner | Hawaii Community Colleges Statewide Contest
1999 League for Innovation Literary Competition, State of Hawaii, USA
Top Three in the Personal Essay Category | State of Hawaii League for Innovation Student Literary Competition
- 2005 (3 years) Taiwan Ministry of Education | Taiwan Scholarship | Taiwan Economic and Cultural Office (TECO), Los Angeles. Master’s Scholarship | National Chengchi University.
- 2011 (2 years) PhD Scholarship | Faculty of International Studies (FIS) | Prince of Songkla University (PSU), Phuket, Thailand
- 2012 (1 year) PhD Research Scholarship | Prince of Songkla University (PSU), Hat Yai, Thailand | Faculty of Environmental Management.
Press and Media Appearances
- Emoto, R. (2008). Steven Martin in Thailand. Nalu – The Longboarder’s Magazine. pp. 154–159. No.66. Tokyo: Nalu.
- Fein, S. (2010). Surf’s up, drownings down, as low season waves roll in: Phuket water safety expert uncovers the island’s unsung lifesaving heroes. The Phuket Gazette, April 10–16, 7(15). Phuket: The Nation.
- Llewellin, P. (2001). Going to Extremes. Automobile Magazine. El Segundo, CA: The Enthusiast Network, Inc.
- Ming Hsin University News. (2004). International exchange student: Mr Steven Martin [in Chinese]. Shin Feng, Taiwan: Ming Hsin University of Science and Technology Press.
- Phuket Gazette. (2011). Local beaches slated for surfing reserve shortlist. The Phuket Gazette, November 12–18, 18(46). Phuket: The Nation.
- Prince of Songkla University. (2016). Dr. Steven Martin and Associates Win Research Awards. Phuket, Thailand: Faculty of International Studies.
- The University News. (2005). Steven A Martin – Visual anthropology [in Chinese]. Taipei: National Chengchi University Press.
- Wedemeyer, S. (2001). Modern discoverer's message: Anything is possible. West Hawaii Today, October 9, 33(242). Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.
Letters and Documents of Recognition
- 1992 – Boy Scouts of America, Aloha Council – Hawaii Aloha Council
- 1997 – American Red Cross, West Hawaii Chapter – Letter of Appreciation
- 1997 – Lifeguards Hawaii State, Waianae – Letter of Recognition
- 1997 – Ocean Sports Waikoloa, Kohala Coast, Hawaii – Letter of Recommendation
- 1997 – School for International Training, Cape Town South Africa Program – Narrative Evaluation
- 1997 – State of California, Department of Parks and Recreation – Letter of Recommendation
- 1997 – The Parker School, Kamuela, Hawaii – Letter of Recommendation
- 2001 – Astronaut Ellison S. Onizuka Space Center, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii – Letter of Appreciation
- 2004 – Hawaii Community College, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii – Letter of Recommendation
- 2004 – Mandarin Language Center, Taiwan – Letter of Recommendation
- 2004 – Ming-Shin University of Science and Technology, Taiwan – Letter of Recommendation
- 2004 – National Chengchi University, Department of Chinese Literature, Taiwan – Letter of Recommendation
- 2006 – National Chengchi University, College of Social Sciences, Taiwan – Letter of Recommendation (Chinese)
- 2007 – National Chengchi University, College of Social Sciences, Taiwan – Letter of Recommendation
- 2008 – University of Hawaii at Hilo, Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies – Letter of Recommendation
- 2008 – Prince of Songkla University, Faculty of Management Sciences, Hat Yai – Letter of Appreciation
- 2010 – Prince of Songkla University, Faculty of Hospitality and Tourism, Phuket – Letter of Recommendation
- 2015 – Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia – Document of Appreciation
- 2018 – Taipei Economic and Cultural Office, Los Angeles – Distinguished Taiwan Alumni Award Nomination
- 2019 – Prince of Songkla University, Promotion to Asst. Professor of Asian Studies in Anthropology and Sociology
- 2022 – Prince of Songkla University, Faculty of International Studies, Phuket – Letter of Appreciation
- 2022 – Prince of Songkla University, Personnel Department – Letter of Recognition (English)
- 2022 – Prince of Songkla University, Personnel Department – Letter of Recognition (Thai)